Due to the extensive media coverage of the Coronavirus, we want to reassure our students, families and staff that the School District of Lancaster is diligently monitoring the situation and remains in daily contact with the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
Please know that there are NO reported cases of Coronavirus in our school district or in Pennsylvania. However, recently the CDC and the World Health Organization asked schools to prepare for the spread of the virus.
In preparation, we remind all students and staff to follow the CDC recommendations to prevent the spread of any respiratory virus by doing the following:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when sick. If your child has a fever (temperature greater than 100 F, they should be kept home until they are fever free for 24 hours without medication.
- Cough or sneeze into an elbow or use a tissue and place immediately in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
In addition, our school nurses are carefully monitoring students for symptoms and providing education and information on these safety measures.
The SDoL Facilities Department employs vigorous, regular cleaning techniques, which promote health and safety as part of our ongoing custodial services. During time of increased illness, such as flu season, our facilities department has a plan in place to address areas in which increased risk of illness may be present.
Concerns about health situations such as this can cause anxiety and fear for children and family members. As parents and educators, we want to protect our children. It may be helpful to understand, currently, the threat of becoming sick with the Coronavirus is very low. Those most at risk have traveled to China or have cared for someone with the virus.
We will keep you updated via our regular communications channels if and when new information becomes available. We have posted additional resources on the Health Services page on this site.
Thank you for working together with the SDoL to keep our children, families, staff and community safe and healthy.