Skip to content
- Missing school in kindergarten or first grade has especially negative effects on reading and math skills and can affect students as they go on to later grades.
- Missing just 2 days a month may not seem like a lot, but it equals about 18 days for the year, or ten percent of the school year. And it’s considered chronic absenteeism even if they are excused absences.
- By 6th grade, chronic absence becomes a leading indicator that a student will drop out of high school.
- If your child has a fever or intestinal issues, they should stay home to get well and avoid making other children sick.
- Excuses like “I don’t feel like going to school today” are not good ones. The student should be encouraged to go.